The Iroquois Theatre Disaster By: With such a large loss of life, all of Chicago was affected and the catastrophe served as an astonishing wake- up call to theatre houses worldwide.
It was the deadliest theater fire in U.
Blocked fire exits and the lack of a fire-safety plan caused most of the deaths. The Iroquois Theater, designed by Benjamin Marshall in a Renaissance style, was highly luxurious and had been deemed fireproof upon its opening in However, at the same time, William Clendenin, the editor of Fireproof magazine, also inspected the Iroquois and wrote a scathing editorial about its fire dangers, pointing out that there was a great deal of wood trim, no fire alarm and no sprinkler system over the stage.
In addition, stage manager Bill Carlton went out front to watch the show with the 2, patrons while the other stage hands left the theater and went out for a drink.
|Iroquois Theatre fire - Wikipedia||On December 30,the new Iroquois Theater in Chicago burned taking the lives of more than theatergoers. Merriam, the construction manager, lacked numerous fire safety devices and blatantly disregarded the safety of its occupants.|
It was a spotlight operator who first noticed that one of the calcium lights seemed to have sparked a fire backstage. The cluttered area was full of fire fuel—wooden stage props and oily rags. When the actors became aware of the fire, they scattered backstage; Foy later returned and tried to calm the audience, telling them to stay seated.
Soon, all the lights inside the theater went out and there were stampedes near the open exits. When the back door was opened, the shift of air caused a fireball to roar through the backstage area.Feb 18, · Video from WTTW - Chicago Tonight tells the story of the Iroquois Theatre Fire disaster on December 30, The Iroquois Theatre fire happened on December 30, , in Chicago, plombier-nemours.com was the deadliest theater fire and the deadliest single-building fire in United States history.
At least people died as a result of the fire, but not all the deaths were reported, as some of Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States. The Iroquois Theater Disaster Killed Hundreds and Changed Fire Safety Forever The deadly conflagration ushered in a series of reforms that are still visible today.
Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Tinder Box: The Iroquois Theatre Disaster at plombier-nemours.com Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users. The Iroquois Theater Disaster Miss Cellania • Saturday, June 16, at AM • 1 On December 30th, between and 2, people, mostly mothers and children on holiday break, attended a performance of the comedy Mr.
Blubeard, starring Eddie Foy. Iroquois Theater fire centennial books by Anthony Hatch's (Tinderbox) and Nat Brandt (Chicago Death Trap: the Iroquois Theater Fire of ) each offer a helpful overview of the fire that is a good starting point for learning about the disaster.4/5.